Forum home Fruit & veg

giant marrow seed

I've grown a giant marrow this year, its currently three feet long and about 20 inches in diameter at its thickest point, I was wondering when I can collect the seed from it? I made sure it was only pollinated by itself and not any nearby courgettes, so their shouldn't be any cross breeding problems.

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

Collect the seed after you harvest and cut it open, whether to eat or not. Dry the seeds and store them, keeping them airtight at a constant moderate temp. What variety is it? Heirloom or F1? If F1, it won't grow true-to-type next season.

• its was grown from seeds given to me by a local grower who had who prizes at the local county show with the marrow, if I'd have looked after it for a show (one plant per bed, feeding weekly etc.) I think it could have been double the size!

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,730

Sounds interesting. Ask the grower what variety it is. It could still be F1. 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    I would advise letting the marrow go beyond what you would actually eat. Grow until the skin is hard or even rotting away. The seeds must be fully mature before you harvest them.
  • hi treehugger iv'e sent you  a  private message  image

if you type-  saving marrow seeds into google you get all the info you need .

good info about  saving other seeds aswell  ,i'll be having ago at this next season if all goes well, i'm recovering from an ankle op and i'm none weight bearing for 8weeks  so i'm bored out my head  !it's a good job iv'e got my puter to keep me going LOL.

all the best  DD