Red Bugs on my fritillaria imperialis

SwedboySwedboy Posts: 297

Hi. I found these two amoruous bugs on my fritillaria imperialis. Are they nasty or benine?

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 297

I think it is the dreaded lily beatle. What should I do to get rid of them???

• lazy gardenerlazy gardener Posts: 317

Beetle not beatleimage

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

Squash them whenever you see them, but have something underneath as they drop upside down and are then hard to see.

Their grubs can be seen on the underside of leaves, they wrap up in their poo. Disgusting. as no known predator we have to be it.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 19,737

Kill them- kill them all.......image

Seriously- they are a real pest, but when you nab them watch out as they can drop down to the ground on their backs and are hard to spot as their underbits are black.

to walk through a forest is to touch the past

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619

I squish mine on sight. However, if they feel threatened, they have a tendency to drop off the plant and land on their backs, and their black bellies make them difficult to see, so holding a sheet of white paper under the plant can be helpful Their larvae are truly horrid, and cover themselves with their own excrement, so might look like a bird's droppings. I would recommend using gloves to dispose of these.

They also are partial to fritillaries and, unsurprisingly, lilies so be vigilant.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

One f the most useful items when on lily beetle hunt, is an old tea strainer, you can catch the beetles in this, transfer them to an area of hard standing amd squash them to your hearts content.  It is probably best not to use your grandmothers favourite silver tea stainer used for the earl grey, but a cheap plastic or metal one works just as well. 

• SwedboySwedboy Posts: 297

Ups. Yes not beatle...

I shall go out on a killing spree now!

• PatsyDPatsyD Posts: 35

They're quite hard to squish. You need to dig a nail in.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447
    lazy gardener wrote (see)

Beetle not beatleimage

Does it matter, we know what he means!image