Forum home Problem solving

Wisteria Renovation

I've been reading up about Wisterias and pruning and get the general idea but my problem is the climbing Wisteria in question has got really tall with 2 entwined stems from the bottom and only leafy growth at top and not flowering well. All the stuff I've been reading talks about whippy growth but I can't see that solving the problem of all the leaf growth being too high up. Not sure if that makes sense!! Can take picture tomorrow. Any advice much appreciated.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 26,165

the " whippy growth" has been made this year

Devon.

it's really easy when you get to grips with it. honest

Devon.
  • I've had my wisteria over 25 years - bought for 99p from Woolworths. I'm v.proud if it image I think a hard prune will encourage new growth lower down. You can then train 3/4 main stems to grow horizontal (more flowers) and prune Sept and Jan.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,556

I have a young one, not flowered yet, I haven't a clue how to prune it, it seems to have bits growing out everywhere! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Lyn, I'll talk you through it next time we meet. Don't panic. It's easy

Devon.
  • Oh my gosh that is so beautiful. I had a saturday job in Woolworths a long time ago! Thanks for the replies. When you say hard prune, are we talking just the whippy growth or right down at the base? That's scary!

I really appreciate all the advice, I only have a small garden with things that I know what I'm doing with but a couple of friends have asked me to help with their gardens and because I'd like to learn about different plants I've said yes. I'm enjoying it but then I come across something like this and I'm not sure. Friend know absolutely nothing about gardening so are happy to entrust me! 

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,556
    Hostafan1 wrote (see)

Lyn, I'll talk you through it next time we meet. Don't panic. It's easy

you're a star, I will take a photo of of it to bring. I have looked in books, got a beautiful book on pruning, but it doesn't look like mine!! 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Pugslovesun, I had some good advice on this forum at 

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/overgrown-wisteria/594623.html

Could you post a pic if you are still unsure? image

• cooo! wot a whopper!!!! worth every one of those 99 psimage

• Thanks gardenlily, that's helpful, here's a pic!

That's the bottom where you can see the main 2 main stems entwined.

And then there's no growth until this at the top where there is whip growth. I understand for all the tips about pruning the whip growth is that all I need to do, I was hoping to get growth lower down. Many thanks for your patience!