Forum home Plants

Pruning buddleja now?

Hello all, I passed two gardens today where the owners had obviously just hard pruned their buddleja bushes (down to about 2ft).  I thought this was a spring job?  Is it ok to prune them back hard now do you think?  Any springtime work that can instead be done now is useful to know as spring is such a busy time.  Many thanks.

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,995

Not sure? Personally I only dead head them and tidy up in the Autumn image 

• That's interesting Tetley.  I thought they flowered on growth produced in the same year hence pruning them in early spring.  Surely if they're pruned now any new growth will be hit by frost?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,545

I leave the whole thing standing until December. The goldfinches love to pick the seeds off them. When I think they've been cleaned up and if the weather isn't too cold I cut them down then. 

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Right, I know of three huge ones I can prune tomorrow.  That's my plan now for Monday morning.  Thanks all.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,559

I always reduce mine by at least a half in autumn or they get blown out of the ground.

Then I take some more off in spring, or later if I want a later flowering

• GWRSGWRS Posts: 7,995

I would have thought that it depends on the type weather you get image

• My friend counted 15 goldfinches on her bird feeder recently (simultaneously) - what a treat to see.

• I just thought it would throw the plant out of kilter.  I thought buddleja put on new growth in spring then flowered on that growth later in the summer.  If I prune now the new growth will come during the winter (?) and possibly be damaged by frost (?) then, if it made it through the winter would it flower earlier (in spring?) because it had reached the right 'age'?