ideas for ground cover plants

kktkkt Posts: 5

Please suggest plants for ground cover, scented preferrably that would flower through out summer. thanks

• kktkkt Posts: 5

thanks

• auntie bettyauntie betty Posts: 208

Geranium macrorrhizum is great low ground cover for sun or shade. Flowers on and off all summer, especially it u shear it back a bit after first flush. Flowers aren't scented, but foliage smells lovely. Good but not invasive spreader and easy to propagate - literally almost anything with some stem wil root - so cheap way to fill space too. I've got white, pale pink and deep pink versions. Its my go-to guy for colourful ground cover, especially in difficult conditions.

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 499

You beat me to it, Auntie Betty. And best of all, it is evergreen, with the leaves developing a red tinge through the winter, and it divides easily. I have a dozen or more now. 

Also think about heucheras. Evergreen, and although they don't flower all summer there. Are some superb foliage colours. 

• auntie bettyauntie betty Posts: 208

I do find many heucheras flower on and on if you snip the spent flower stems off promptly. And there's so many fab ones to try! Great plants - rude not to have a few, surely?

• bookmonsterbookmonster Posts: 196

A lot of herbs such as oregano , marjoram and thyme make good ground cover and smell wonderful.

• hwadehwade Posts: 5

I have come to this website http://www.thompson-morgan.com/plants-for-groundcover that suugest what king od ground cover plants you should or shouldn't put into your garden.I hope Itl'' hel you.