Forum home Problem solving

DAM CATS

i know other peaple have the same problem but how do i stop cats from diging up my plants image

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Spread teabags soaked in Jeyes Fluid!

• Catapult

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447
    Joe_the_Gardener wrote (see)

Catapult

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,143

Water pistol (our local garden centre sells pump action ones).

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Water pistol really works as does the garden hose on jet if I,m near enough.

• DaintinessDaintiness EssexPosts: 980

A water scarecrow. Moveable,will make a noise and spray water 24/7 you just need an outside tap. Adjustable so you don't get the birds. Get the Contech one not cheaper ones as the reviews all say they are inferior. Have a look on amazon - expensive but by the the time you consider replacing plants, trying all the alternatives etc - lion poo, orange peel etc and failing, invaluable. I have had mine for years, it has stopped foxes pooing on the patio, protected bulbs, seedlings and newly planted plants.

• red johnred john Posts: 25

Thanks to all will try the tea bags and jeyes fluid sounds good 

• Lyndsey JLyndsey J Posts: 1

Please don't use Jeyes fluid around cats, its extremely toxic to them. I know they can be a nuisance but killing someone's pet is a bit extreme. Waterpistols work well or you could try sprinkling pepper or chilli powder around your plants.

• PageyPagey Posts: 9

We have had problems with local cats. The things we have tried - sonic - only works for a few days - till they know what it is and what it does - waste of money if you ask me. Next we tried the smelly sticks, doesn't work at all. To cut a long story short - we have tried alot of things - waste of money, (gels, cat away etc). The only thing that seems to work is pepper. We now have pepper in an old tea bag - put at various locations around the garden, (we found that grinding it yourself (with a hammer and hard surface) lasts the longest).

Rather than hurt actual real life cats - I recommend taking your revenge out using this game http://www.arcadetown.com/catapult/playgame.asp - it's called catapult.

(When it loads - just select high or low resolution - then using your mouse left button - hold it down to increase the power of the throw - try to get the cats in the holes or fill the hooks with cats for a bonus).

Failing that buy a dog and train it. Good Luck with the cats.

• Rob DRob D Posts: 9

The best way of deterring cats from your garden is to get a cat of your own.  Cats are very territorial and will fight off any intruders.  Training your own cat not to dig up your plants is another story ...