Forum home Problem solving

Identification of tree /shrub

Hi,  a friend sent me this and asked if I know what it is but I am stumped can anyone help please?

• Peanuts? Though I think they grow on bushes, not trees...

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114

Are the flowers fully open?  If not could you post a photo when they are?

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013

Could it be a handkerchief tree - Davidia involucrata ?

Pam LL x

• LilylouiseLilylouise Posts: 1,013

Not sure now  - sorry!

Pam LL

• marsboylemarsboyle Posts: 5

It is in an overgrown garden in London my friend is trying to rejuvinate and not wanting to get rid of anything that might be worth keeping!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,152

Well, going on the theory that if we don't know what it is, it's likely to be something quite unusual - it's a mature tree and I'd leave it be and look forward to finding out more about it and working with it - hopefully someone will come up with an ID eventually image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• marsboylemarsboyle Posts: 5

Thanks will let you know what it is! the mystery awaits to be unfolded by nature... thanks

• quercus_ruburquercus_rubur Posts: 334

They look like Broad Beans. Maybe you've got a hybrid broad bean tree! Now THAT would be good. I love broad beans! 

• quercus_ruburquercus_rubur Posts: 334

Seriously, the leaves look like a Catalpa. If those "bean" pods get elongated then it is. Let us know, we wait with baited breath.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 82,152

Nutcutlet has a Catalpa - wonder if she's seen this thread? image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh