any idea what it is

trifid housetrifid house Posts: 101

Hi  have found a clump of these plants in my local wood any idea what it is. Big heart shaped leaves and almost a peace lily shaped flower but not as pretty

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,618

Cuckoo pint, Lords & Ladies, Wild Arum - known by lots of names http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arum_maculatum

Sometimes the leaves have black spots, sometimes they do not.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • trifid housetrifid house Posts: 101

Many thanks dovefromabove. I think I may dig up one ( there are loads) to put in my shady border as they look so unusual

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 580

Sorry but that is not a good idea trifid house.

1. it is illegal to dig up plants from the wild.

2. It can be an invasive pest in gardens.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • LynLyn Posts: 8,376

3, the berrys are poisinous, so if you have children or pets, its not a good idea.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,618

Please don't do that trifid house - it is illegal - wild plants need protection - and they do not transplant well so you are likely to kill it.  

Arum pictum italicum is the cultivated form and can be obtained from many nurseries 

Google it's name and you'll find many pictures.  As Lyn says, please remember that the berries are poisonous.

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Briliant dovefromabove thanks for the link

It also smells of faeces or vomit which is how it attracts moths etc!.

It doesn't come under the illegal to remove types, included in CITES etc I checked that first only the theft act if you do not have permission from the landowner or own the land. But it is staying where it is as the smell gets strong in the evening. I was blaming the local sewerage works! Lol

• gardenning grannygardenning granny Posts: 775

Please think twice about introducing the wild form into your garden.  It produces tiny bulbils deep down in the ground and like ground elder you think you've dug it all out but then back it comes if you've left the tiniest bulb behind.  It spreads mercilessly.  Enjoy it in the local woods and plant an Italicum instead - much prettier leaves and more controllable.

• Have loads growing in the garden and forever trying to get rid of them as i worry about the berries and the cats eating or licking them

• When Tom and I were first married(-many years ago-)

When Tom and I were first married we used to visit Farndale in Yorkshire which was covered in daffodills.

People used to walk away with armfuls. which eventually almost  destroyed the area. It then became illegall to pick them.

joan