Grafting apples

Does anybody know whether it is possible to graft another apple onto an existing tree which I bought this year. I was thinking of making it into a 'family' tree. I have no idea what the rootstock of the existing tree is as I bought it from Homebase and their labelling is not exactly helpful, it looks like it might eventually be M26. Would I have to reduce the other branches? Any advice welcome please.

• LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Go on to utube there's something on thereimage
  • pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 16,149

If your first tree is only a couple of years old it won't have that much material to choose from for acting as the host plant.

Grafting is a very difficult process calling for manual dexterity in handling a sharp knife, scrupulous hygeine when it comes to making cuts and binding them up and a great deal of accuracy in matching the two cambium layers together. You will probably fail to make the graft take and will then have reduced the size of your first tree because the branch that you choose to accept the graft will have to be pruned after the attempt fails.

Why not just leave some things to the professionals?image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • roxy2roxy2 Posts: 23

I just thought I would have a go as the professionals seem to graft the apples I don't want to eat or cook with. My main thought was that the rootstock wouldn't support the new graft, I might wait a bit for it to grow a bit more though, thanks for the advice.

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Leicestershire, UKPosts: 8,238

Look up "bud grafting" (aka "chip budding") roxy2.  You need very little material from the donor trees and will not cause much damage to the host tree if grafted buds fail to take.  As young fruit trees are so cheap nowadays it's a risk worth taking and I'm very, very much for people trying these things themselves.  It's by far the best way to learn. image

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 13,892

I wish I had done that. There was an old tree in the Orchard next door. It was believed to be pre ww2. The experts at harlow carr apple day couldnt identify it and it was a lovely apple. The winter storms felled the tree while I was dithering.

Have a go, very little to lose.

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3