Forum home Talkback

Talkback: Butterflies

• I do not wish to labour this gruesome point but when was the last time you needed to clean your car bonnet after driving through the countryside? It seems to me that it is not only the butterflies and moths but all forms of flying insects have declined.(by the way I have introduced buddleja to my garden and have had a super year for butterflies)
  • I am sure the poor turn out of butterflies this summer is due to the dreadful wet summer in 2007, and I fear we will see the same again in 2009. I have had up to 16 species in my Pennine garden, 750 alt within the last 5 years, which has quite a few nectar plants from March onwards: Aubretia, Sedum, Buddleia, Geranium and Echinops Hebe sp all attract. I have just seen my first speckled wood of the year, and have had skippers, orange tip small coppers as well a the whites and small tortoiseshell and peacocks, but no commas or painted ladies this year
  • I am making a real effort each year to get better and better about gardening for wildlife. I am absolutely fascinated now about all the insects in my garden and am learning more and more about them every day. Nothing is banished from my garden if nature brought it in and if a plant is being eaten then so be it - my theory is they need it more than me but 9 times out of 10, the plant recovers and comes back looking more stunning so nature is definitely boss in my garden. I just try and help it along the way! I am having great fun in gradually getting rid of any plant that has no wildlife value whatsoever and replacing with plants rich in wildlife value which is so much fun. Basically, wild flowers are a must in any wildlife garden as they can withstand the UK's pests and diseases better and they are so pretty too. I too don't think you can have too many buddleia. I have a long way to go but it is already a place I want to be when I don't want to be anywhere else.
  • Hi Richard, here North West Anglesey, I have seen large numbers of Red Admirals this summer/autumn. Also I have never seen as many Speckled Woods before. We have always had Speckled Woods in our garden but this year they are over our fields as well
  • Butterfly numbers were definitely down this year in my garden, but I am trying to improve that next year but not only growing great nectar plants but also growing the food plants of the caterpillars. Hopefully I can create my own colonies of butterflies and have the garden full of butterflies that I, too, remember from childhood.
  • We also live in south norfolk-just-& walk the fields every day. Today we saw a large moth or was it a small wren by the flooded river-oh what terrible vibrations that gives out at present.

We saw & followed a large butterfly red and I think oh what a pleasure.
    Having recently returned from france - a long term visit - I am so pleased to be back in the English countryside I hope to buy an acre of derelict land but am not 100% sure how to handle it yet - I will learn.

• PLEASE be careful of Buddleia. Although beautiful and full of nectar it is a MENACE. It is taking over alongside railway lines as it has escaped from domestic gardens. It is CHOKING our native plants.
  • when they showed a 'red admiral' butterfly it was not a red admiral; it was a peacock butterfly on your other website
  • Reply to Anonymous: Nothing to do with us then! I think most people can surely tell the difference between these two common native butterflies. They're both beautiful, but the peacock is probably a more frequent visitor to my garden than the red admiral.
  • It is certainly interesting for me to read that blog. Thanks for it. I like such themes and everything that is connected to this matter. I definitely want to read more on that blog soon.