Forum home The potting shed

Books/reading material/guides

From garden design/layout, bulbs, tools, lawns, veg, sheds, bushes, patios, fruit, berries, nuts, soft/hard cuttings, corms, soil, trees, tubers, arts and crafts (for the garden), watering, feeding, bugs, slugs, other plant munchers..and everything else I forgot!

What are your go to books? or guides you have read over the years that have given you valuable and trustworthy info that you can recommend?  After the last year or so of running back and forth to google, the info doesn't really sink in with me unless its on paper and would love to get my hands on some non-conflicting info and have a good read over winter image

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Monty Don, especially the Ivington Diaries, he has failures and disasters, just like the rest of them. A man who really lives and breathes gardening

i would kill for his potting shed...."..

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,565

Did you read his Jewel Garden book, lovely straight from the heart warts n all.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

•  I must, he's a very upfront honest chap

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

I have loads of books but mostly it's the internet now for info. Books for pleasure reading, Lloyd and others who can construct a readable sentence.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 8,545

There are so many opinions in gardening, as in many other walks of life. because there is often no right answer, I go for those authors who write well, so C. Lloyd and M. Don would be my first choices.

Did they tear it out with talons of steel
    And give you a shot, so that you wouldn't feel?
    And washed it away as if it wasn't real?
  • nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,160

Anna Pavord could be added to the readable listimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

I use the veg book by Dr. Hessayon. Also a massive 2 volume RHS A-Z of Garden plants. The problem is that new versions of plants with different needs are being created all the time, so the internet; using RHS info and this WONDERFUL forum are in effect cheaper and more space saving (I'm running out of space to build bookshelves) than buying books which may well be out of date in 4 years.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 6,344

I love the RHS book on fruit growing, and have been known to have it open beside me when I've got some difficult pruning to do... the pictures are very informative.  And I share Artjak's approval of the 2-vol A-Z of Garden Plants, which I used a lot when I was working in a garden centre.  But yes, this forum is absolutely wonderful as a source of help, ideas, inspiration and encouragement.  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore