a very wild garden!

hi everyone

i posted about a year ago when i moved to ask what was the best thing to do withmy large garden that had a lot of planting etc. i was advised to let it be and see what happened, so i have.

what i have discovered is a huge planted flower border which i think with some input could be rescued as it hasnt been loved in a while. the rest of the garden however is a complete mess and jumble.

the bottom of the garden has been used for growing and we have had a bit of success in this over the summer and a plan for some raised bed for next year. the rest of the space down there is over grown now with a variety of wild plants and flowers. it is full of wildlife, we saw a toad the other day and we are sure there are hedgehogs around which we are really happy about

i want to keep it wild but it really is a big huge mess down there. ive also spotted some bindweed (i think its called) which im scared that if i just leave everything it will take over.

ive found a lot of advice on how to create a wildflower meadow but not much on how to tend a wild area. can anybody give an amateur some starting points please?!

thank you very much image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,443

Hello again. I see from your first post that you are renting the property so you obviously don't want to start investing a fortune in it.

Everything really depends on how much time you have to care for it, what your personal feelings are about "mess" and possibly most importantly what your neighbours' views on mess are.

Keeping weeds down is a constant and time consuming battle. If you don't have all that much time to spend on it and you like the idea of a wildlife area I'd concentrate on keeping a border of about a metre deep ralatively free of weeds, both the seeding type and the creeping underground type. That way your neighbours will have little to complain about.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Personally (one amateur to another image) I'd wait till everything has set seed, then decide on the plants you don't want and remember what they look like (or take photos). Then, wade in there with a brush cutter/strimmer/hedge cutter. Remove the debris to burn or compost and leave it over winter.

If over winter or in spring you see any plants on your hitlist, spray or remove them as this will allow others to thrive.

I did this on some wasteground over the road earlier this year, it was thick with brambles and of very little interest to anything. I chopped it all down, and after removing residual nettles, rapeseed and (?sowthistle?), it's a lot lower and full of wildlife, there's red clover, scarlet pimpernel, fox and cubs, phacelia, buddlea etc.

• thank you both. great ideas

• thank you tetley. i def dont want dead bodies!

• Hello everyone,I have just joined to day image

Just wanted to say have just made a raised bed,(small one 6x4ft) for a small wild garden.

I am disabled,where as I can't stand for long and kneel for long.

I have one of those garden gardening seats,so will use that to tend the raised bed.

At the moment we have filled it with top soil,and letting it settle for a while,I'm thinking three bags of compost will be a good idea to add to it,while it is settling,what are your thoughts please.

Also will it be a good or bad idea to add some fish blood and bone meal in with it all while it is settling.

Any suggestions welcomed.image Thank you.

• Oh,ok will do that thank you jo47.image

• any chance of borrowing some goats over the winter? they would clear everything to the ground ready for spring, or alternatively pigs if you want the ground turning over and manuring?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,443

I think the landlord might have something to say about that.....image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • my other half would be delighted with a garden full of either pigs or goats!