Advice needed please

I'm looking to get opinions & advice please on my front garden, whether I should or shouldn't plant something along the edging of the grass where it lines up with the path. If you think it could look a bit unfitting than ideas would be very much appreciated please!
My garden is quite small but it does go around the side and round the back as well and even though there is a lot of space it still feels like all of the garden is quite small. 
The look & feel that I'd love to achieve in time is to make the garden appear bigger by arranging plants/shrubs in ways that it sort of closes in a bit, creating 'new rooms' around the garden. Hope this makes sense image

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,745

Bump 

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 875

I think it would be a good idea to post some more expansive pictures, showing the broader view.  From these pictures all we can see is a path,  the base of a front door, a little bit of road and a few inches either side of the path.....not a lot to go on.  What is to either side?  What is the architecture like?  What else is growing either side of the path?  What are the boundaries made of? 

• KornoKorno Posts: 99

Ok thanks, it's a work in progress so on the left side looking in at the house we have an old broken up driveway part sand part scattered pebbles and some paving slabs here and there, further back around the side of the house that moves on to more chaos a half built garage foundation and all the builders bags it's like a construction site image  

I can't do anything with that area for the foreseeable so working on the small front garden area to attract the eyes instead.  As you might see in the picture I have a Marigold plant and some Salvia planted just underneath the window, to the right of that is the fence to separate the neighbours garden and along it I dug up the grass in a 'D' shape and planted in Hydrangea, Lobelia and Lupin.
    There's a large 'privacy hedge' that stretches the length of the front lawn where it meets the streets pavement.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,426

I'd second Redwing's request for more pictures.  It's not clear to me how the second photo relates to the first.  Could you take a photo looking down from an upstairs window, perhaps?  Then we might have a better idea of how it all fits together.  image

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

Ok Liriodendron that's a great suggestion, it wouldn't fit all in one picture at ground level so yep I will do that tomorrow  image

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 5,426

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore

I love the idea of the pergola type car port with climbers all over it ! I told my partner and he loves it too. It's unfortunately going to be quite a while yet before we plan that out though after building the garage (if it ever resumes)  it will tie in nicely with renovation of the driveway area image

I completely agree with you but try convincing the other half lol image

• BinBinBinBin Posts: 1

Hi guys. I'm a new member

please see my clip: how to design garden landscape beautifully

Small, Medium Sized Garden Ideas

thank you so much