Weed or plant

Can anyone help? I bought a plant at local market a while ago , since then something else has appeared too. I have split them and wondered if anyone knew the mystery stalk?

I thought it was like a ribes leaf but is thicker and doesnt smell the same which made me think could it be a weed.

Thank you

• lazy gardenerlazy gardener Posts: 317

What was the original plant?-you havent saidimage

• Oh sorry , it was a geranium . 

• lazy gardenerlazy gardener Posts: 317

Well it is just another plant-but it is only a weed if you dont want it-hard to say from the picture

Grow it on see what you getimage

• Ok thank you. Hopefully not a towering monsterimage

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,805

I took the liberty of enlarging the image. A bit less sharp than the original, but...........

Still not sure what it is, looks like a Currant of some description.

• LynLyn Posts: 8,059

Looks like a sycamore sapling

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 
  • Thank you all for your help , and for re sizing the picture . I shall keep a good watch , hopefully I won't be growing a tree . 

• KEFKEF Posts: 8,915

Don't know what it is, but don't think it's a sycamore, I get lots of self set ones and they always have dead straight stems & if unnoticed I need the grafter to dig them out.

• Alan4711Alan4711 Posts: 1,569
    not unlike a nettle
  • marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Red flowering currant - Ribes sanguineum.

• i have a ribes marshmello , that was what I originally thought but comparing them definitely not the same , this leaf it thicker and a little larger. Thank you for your kind ideas though everyone, very helpful. I shall study some books tonight now.