Forum home Plants

Gigantic Knautia Macedonica (Scabious) invasion

Evening - late last year I planted three Scabious (definitely this plant) in front of a rose bush having taken 'advice' from the grower at a plant fair then checking on the RHS site.  Year 1 in the garden and it was lots taller than me (I'm 5'6") and taking over the rose view.  It needs to be moved no question, but should I attempt to dig up and risk damaging the rose given than the roots are likely to be proportionate to the plant or just collect seed (I have left some seed heads to assist with this quandary) and start from scratch?  

Has anyone else transplanted Scabious?  Does it mind being uprooted? Is it often over sized?  I searched for the exact dark red colour I wanted and don't really want to lose it/them.

What to do, what to do?

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

That will move OK. I'd cut it back and do it now so it gets established while the soil is warm, but it would be OK to do it in spring

I've never seen it reach those heights.

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 32,434

I've grown Knautia Madeconica for year and have never seen this. 

Firstly ,they're not Scabious and might I suggest this is part of the problem using common names?. 

Might the plant in question be Cephalaria Gigantica, which is often referred to as a Scabious.?

This is where a photo might be useful.

Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,003

The only Scabious like plant that I know would grow to that height is Cephalaria. It has yellow flowers.

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,003

Knautia Macedonia which are related to Scabious grow to at least 5 feet.

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go

I've never had them more than about 1m

Devon.

maybe if OP gave us a photo , we might get somewhere?? 

Devon.
  • fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 16,162

My Cephalaria gigantea were at least 7ft. Knautia macedonica melton pastels have grown to around 5ft. Shame I put them at the front of a border. I have seeds to grow new plants for  the back of the wild patch. The bees love them both.image

You don't stop doing new things because you get old, you get old because you stop doing new things. <3