Forum home Fruit & veg

Ice Crystal Fig tree

Hi

Me again- Has anybody grown an Ice crystal fig tree before, I must admit its the first year the fig tree has produced figs, they were growing well until late august-  but they were on the small side, they turned red recently and fell off the tree, I am not sure if they got too cold in the night. I opened up the fruit and it was still white inside- should  the fruit be red inside?

I hope it doesnt sound like a silly question, but how do you tell when figs are ripe?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    This is quite normal for figs. They are the second crop which will not develop into fully grown figs before the winter. They should be removed in the autumn.

The figs that will grow to maturity next year are going into the winter at the end of the branches in the leaf axils and are probably about the size of a small pea, certainly no bigger.

I do not know the Ice Crystal variety, but this is how figs work.
  • CeresCeres Posts: 1,823

Normally figs are ripe when they are squishy to the touch. I haven't grown Ice Crystal, which has small fruits and is usually used as an ornamental plant, so cannot say what colour the figs should be inside but the fact that they turned red suggests they were on the way to being ripe. Did you try eating one?

Ceres I think you are mis-interpreting Harrers, she/he perfectly described figs which are never going to ripen.

The simplest way to find out what a ripe fig is like is to look in the greengrocer or supermarket, they all have them.

I'm afraid most figs sold in shops are not very ripe.

And of course they have pips as they come from abroad.

I have never come across a pip in a fig. Perhaps that is because I only eat the ones off my trees. It is a very weird fruit with the flowers growing inside the green casing.

• Hi Welshonion and ceres,

Thanks for your help, I have looked inside a fig and it was completely white,  I am guessing  that we haven't had enough heat this year and now the plant is starting to turn yellow.

Your right Ceres- Ice crystal fig is more an ornamental plant guessing grown for its leaves, just it was the first year any figs had formed, annoying I would have had over 20 figs lol, never mind