Forum home Talkback

bee flies

LMLM Posts: 4

Has anyone else had alot of Bee Flies in their garden? They look like bees, they hover alot and they have a long probosis. It took me a little while to find out what they were. Some people have said they are hummingbird hawk moths but these are not around at this time of year and would be much larger. Apparently they are parasitic on solitary bees, wasps and beetles. Fortunatley they don't sting! 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

Bombylius major, yes, more than we usually see

• Outdoor girlOutdoor girl Posts: 286

Masses here in the south too - far more than last year. I think they are fascinating to watch!

• [Deleted User][Deleted User] Posts: 3,277
    The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • pashpash Posts: 109

bump

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 79,514

Yes, I've been watching them too - and we seem to have a good helping of bumble bees as well image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I nyself am quite worried about the rise in the bee flies..I too have alot of lovely bumbles.but.I have not seen many hony bees..could the rise in the number of bee flies be having an effect,,and,whilst bee flies might be pretty,I do not like to encourage my friends preditorsr loads of honesty...and...loads of Orange tip butterflies,spuds up,runner beans 7-8 inches high,spring onions,chard and spinach doing well as is beetroot,and lettuce,,I have had to thin..all in all things coming nicely..I have to start things in tunnels,as Borris,and Rosie coco think I have just made a nice litter tray for them not to mention George next door,,I must say once things are bigger,they do keep off...xxx...

• PS.I am waiting to see how many wasps I get,,,They are the best aphid and pest removers everI talk to them,and, have never had any trouble from them...in fact I quite welcome them,,but I have got quite a big garden..and they seem to dissapear later im the year,,,mind you I have`nt ay plum trees,other wise they might be a pest,,but they keep my cabbages free of caterpillars...so bully for them...xxx...

• Angel_AliAngel_Ali Posts: 5

I have seen quite a few in my garden, they have such a loud buzz!!!  I find them fascinating!!

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,568

I love to watch them. All part of nature's diversity Ann. I fear the only thing that seriously upsets the balance is Homo sapiens.

• steephillsteephill Posts: 2,481

Lots here too (Surrey/Sussex border) which hopefully means that their prey species, bumble bees, are also in adundance. If bee flies are too successful then no bumble bees image.