Where to buy native plants/seeds?

The garden centres near me don't seem to have many native plants/seeds, any suggestions of where I can buy them? 

Is there a native lent lilly/narcissus to buy? The garden centre had lots of different narcissi, but I wasn't sure if any of them were native variants. The packets didn't seem to state their latin names, which wasn't very helpful for distinguishing between them image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,053

If you google native wildflower seed UK you'll get a good selection of growers to choose from. 

Same with native UK bulbs

• Peter Nyssen stock N. Lobularis and N.Obvallaris, the Tenby daffodil, listed as wild type daffodils. I've grown the first and it is a pretty little thing.

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,250

Narcissus pseudonarcissus is a native.

Woke up again
    To my chagrin
    Getting sick and tired of
    Feeling sick and tired again
  • Emorsgate seeds do a good wildflower mix, out of curiosity what are you planning to do with them? because even if they are a native species its against the law to plant them in the wild?

• Is it? How is it any different to say, a bird taking a few Teasel seeds and accidentally dropping them on the side of a farmers field?

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,167

Hardy geraniums, foxgloves, primroses, dog rose, short stemmed daffs, bluebells (not the Spanish ones), English lavender, heathers, cornflowers, corn cockles etc etc but you don't have to restrict yourself to natives for a good wildlife garden.

The RHS has recently reported on a 4 yr study of the relative benefits to wildlife of natives and imports and except for certain insects being very fussy about their feeding plants for their larvae, many imports are just as attractive for providing nectar, pollen and seeds for adult wildlife.

Have a look here - https://www.rhs.org.uk/science/conservation-biodiversity/wildlife/plants-for-bugs as it may widen the scope of your garden choices.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • LoganLogan Posts: 2,532
    Any single flowers are good, calendula, cosmos also snapdragonimage
  • ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 18,167

There are loads of well behaved plants European, American, South African and Asian plants that do well for wildlife.  I would never knowingly plant or advocate Himalayan balsam or the like.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Okay, will try to answer several questions quickly so that I can go to bed (thanks for all the suggestions, by the way).

Yes, it's kind of for wildlife, and more generally for the environment. There are probably obvious reasons why garden centres sell the same sorts of non-native plants (e.g. they look pretty and/or are easy to grow), but it can't be good for biodiversity if everyone grows the same plants in their gardens! 

I was inspired by my mum's garden, which is on the wild side because she doesn't have time for much gardening - it's not overgrown, it's just not groomed. The weeds and non-weeds all blend in together and look nice somehow. Plus it seems to attract a lot of wildlife. I think she has some non-native plants dotted around, but most of the borders are wild flowers and weeds because she's never really spent money buying plants.

By the way, Obelixx, I'm sure I read the other day that English Lavender isn't native to England - I was in a hurry though, so perhaps I misread it image