New Petrol Strimmer Smoking

My new "Trueshopping" 43CC Petrol Strimmer arrived today. Took an hour to assemble it all. Mixed the unleaded with the oil with the mixing container that come with the strimmer. I made sure the measurements were exact, primed the fuel through the line, flicked the choke, after about 5 pulls the engine started, I then flick the choke back to the off position. Barely a trace of smoke but it does make the odd little puff now and again.

Has a nice little purr to it, I've let it idle for 3 minutes before giving it it's first rev. I fully pressed the throttle down, it produces a cloud of greyish smoke. Quite a lot to grab my attention. Letting it idle is fine, it only does it when it's at full revs.

For oil I use "Semi-Synthetic" Ryobi RGA002 2 Stroke. I've used the exact 25:1 mix.

Link to Strimmer http://www.trueshopping.co.uk/product/Trueshopping_Petrol_Grass_Strimmer_Brush_Cutter_43cc_1.25KW_1.7HP/5632/49441.html

Engine is a generic Chinese copy but it's great! Best sounding machine I've used. Does the engine need to be run-in longer? Couldn't really test it at it's full potential due to the rain, only gave it a quick run test in the garage.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,052

Don't  2-strokes always smoke?

Or am I thinking of British 2 stroke motorcycles?

• You are correct nutcutlet, 2-strokes are smoky, especially British 2-stroke motorcycles. The lubricating oil is mixed with the petrol. Oil smokes when burned, hence, smoky emisions. 4-strokes have separate lubrication from combustion material therefore, no, or very little,smoke.

• But. It's not a British 2 stroke engine. It's a Chinese knockoff 43CC engine. Doesn't smoke much at idle but looks a bit like a chimney at full revs. It's sounds wonderful though. One of the best buys I've bought from Amazon for £49.99

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,052

But the oil's in there burning with the petrol, it's got to smoke a bit surelyimage

Whilst riding a 2stroke M/C, following another one, I thought the weather was becoming foggy. It was just an oil haze on my glassesimage

• ClaringtonClarington Posts: 4,949

Check your manufacturers oil mix specifications. Excessive smoke is a sign of worn parts (or ill fitting; unlikely on a nw engine) or it burning too much oil.

• I smell spam, not oil.

• You could try a anti smoking patch on it ha ha ????

• Haha.

I'll fire it up after work. Hasn't rained and hope it holds off. If it still smokes badly I'll get a video.

• It's not bad enough to cause alarm but questioned if it's normal. Engine probably still needs to be run in further. But I'll say again, it sounds like magic, ticks away wonderfully.

• Cut down the oil by 50% if refilling from empty. If mixture still in tank, dilute with neat petrol. Run the strimmer with a weaker mixture of petrol to oil and observe the smoke output when engine at full working temperature. If no smoke, gradually increase oil ratio taking note of mixture until smoking again then back off the oil slightly. If this does not work there is a fault. Tip: Always buy the best you can afford, it works out cheaper in the long run.