Forum home Plants

Young Monkey Puzzle Tree's

Last Christmas i germinated 11 Monkey Puzzle Tree seeds and 10 survived through this year. since the last frost they have been outside in my back yard and seem to be growing well. they are just over 6 inches high. With winter approaching and the first frost in mid October in Stoke-On-trent i was wondering about protecting the young tree's, will they be ok outside or will they have to protected?.

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

They're natives of Chile where they grow at very high altitude and have been around for a very long time so they should be hardy enough here Voyager! They look like terrific little plants so I can understand why you're keen to help them as much as you can. They look well sheltered tucked in at your wall, but perhaps some fleece in the coldest, wettest, winter weather if you feel unsure.  I wouldn't think they'd need anything more, but I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.

I love them although I know they divide people in a Marmite way image 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,198

They'd look good on your Welsh hillside Jo  image

I would have planted some at my last house if I'd stayed there. Plenty of room for them to do their thing image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• Thanks guys n gals, i'll leave em there. Its a sheltered place by the wall and the house is just out the picture to the right.