Tomatoes

Help My tomatoes were planted as instructed and grown from seed Placed in my veg patch. The plant grew, tomatoes grew. Cut back leaves. They have not ripened instead have turned brown and wrinkled. What is this?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,758

Did they look anything like these?

If so, afraid that's Late Blight image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Yes thank you that's exactly what it is. I will google late blight now. Any tips on his to avoid for next year?
  • Found all the info on late blight. Should the affected fruit and plants be burned or can they be composted? Any ideas welcome
  • Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 23,739

we don't " do " wrinkly. image

Devon.

Don't know what others do, but when we had it the plants went in the council garden waste bin.  If you have the facility to burn it then I'd do that.

So much depends on weather conditions and whether there are affected potatoes/tomatoes nearby.

There are some varieties that are supposed to be blight resistant but I've not tried them. 

I've found that removing lower leaves as soon as the first truss has formed, thinning foliage as the season progresses and keeping leaves as dry as possible has worked this year, but it may just have been my turn for good luck image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• I am growing Losetto, a bush cherry tomato that is blight resistant. The other one I grow, the delicious Sungold (cordon type), isn't marketed as blight resistant but doesn't seem to suffer much. I have had huge crops, especially from Losetto, to the point where I am making loads of tomato soups and sauces to freeze, and giving away pounds of them. I really recommend Losetto - they are expensive seeds, with only about six to the packet, but six plants have us knee-deep in tomatoes.

At least that would help prevent me from growing 30+ tomato plants again ...

• TootlesTootles Posts: 1,469

That's really useful, thanks Green Magpie. I've found it to be a really poor year for tomoatoes for me. Poor yield, a bit of blossom end rot (from Fandango - the 'blight resistant' seeds from the Gardeners World trial) and lots of splitting. I know that the weather hasn't always been great for tomatoes where I live. Hoping for yields like yours next year. 

• I did get a lot of splitting with the Sungold, which seem a bit prone to that. I think the occasional deluges of heavy rain are responsible for this. The Losetto suffered more from caterpillar damage, but honestly I have so many now that the caterpillars are welcome to some.

• A couple of my plants have gone down with blight but the others look ok so far - should I harvest all the tomatoes on the other plants even the green ones? Also should I take any of the still green ones from affected plants or are they just going to rot!

Ta