Grrrr homebase violas

I have just disposed of two trays of homebase's violas. They had such pretty flowers and a fantastic fragrance for such teeny flowers but they had developed pansy leaf spot withing days of bringing them homeimage

I really shouldn't be tempted by super cheap plants & just go to a trusted nursery.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,547

This is true.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Steve 309Steve 309 Posts: 2,753

Sometimes.image

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 6,827

I'm not so sure Rainbowfish, I grow my Violas from seed and some years I have terrible problems with leaf spot, other years none at all.

Time slide, place to hide, nudge reality
    Foresight, minds wide, magic imagery, oh-ho...

My criticism of supermarket plants is this. I have never had a conversation with any member of their staff which has shown me that they have any training in plant care at all. From what I can see, they might be stacking tins of paint one moment and trays of violas the next. Most visits to spermarket garden sections are depressing events. Plants are left unwatered on trays piled head high. When they begin to die, they are marked down and put in the Reduced corner. 

On the other hand, the local garden centre is a family-run affair and everyone there has an interest in maintaining the plants' good health. Everyone has been trained. 

No contest.

• I bought a tray of pansies few weeks ago from a garden centre and they have developed bad leaf spot, I've been spraying them with fungicide, I've  thrown one away that's died, think the others will b the same. I've bought quite a few pansies/violas over the years they've never been like this.

Take 'em back.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,437

When mine go like that and they usually do eventually, I chop them right back, they come up again fine. I plant them out in the garden then.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.