Which Cornish Garden to visit in September?

• punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,081

Tall, dark and handsome, Dove; wrong on at least 3 counts!

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand
  • LesleyKLesleyK Posts: 4,029

Uhmm Pdoc - never had you down for short, fair and prettyimage

Well Dove, that's clarified things for youimage.  I've only been to Heligan and Eden and loved both but it's good to have the information of which gardens are best in different weather conditions.  You'll have a lovely time whatever you doimage

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,263

I wonder how the scar on Poldarks face miraculously changed sides from the original series.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,511

whichever you visit Dove, they'll pale to insignificance by comparison with the garden you're visiting in Devon.

I wish.

Devon.
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 7,081

Much closer Lesley, 2 of those are right.

You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand
    The things you think are precious, i don't understand

I'm scared now image

Devon.
  • Lanhydrock and Cotehele are both sumptuous and well worth a visit. Gardens and House. 

Having visited and followed the Eden Project since it's inception, I would advise a visit if you have never been.  A little run down in places, it is still worth the time just to admire the sheer scale and ingenuity.

If you pass Castle Drogo (Devon......not far off the M5 )........that is also worth a visit.  The exterior has been recently refurbished ( I think it is finished now ) but is a real gem............and an eye opener for anyone dealing with a flat roof problemimage 

I have to say , Drogo is my least fave Lutyens' property. All the others I love. but not Drogo.

Devon.
  • Hosta..........you really like the Elephant House and the other little concrete job at Whipsnade better than Drogo ??

Drogo is the rich man's idea of a castle........more money than sense I grant you ( hence the flat roof problem ) but I always think it has a certain impact.

Actually, I preferred it as it was in the '80s..........dark and brooding..........but the NT saw fit to make a new car park, install the ever ubiquitous shop, etc. and for me, it has lost some of it's charm.

Still think it's worth a visit tho if you are passingimage

no downpipes or windowsills? no woner it leaks

Devon.