Acer problem

Hi,can anyone help? I have an acer palmatum 'Atropurpureum' in a large pot. I have had it for several years and it has been steadly growing well.  However, there seems to be a problem this spring, the new leaves seem to be well grown and plentifull but they do not seem to be unfurling properly and seem quite limp.  I have not treat it any differently, can anyone give any suggestions or advice?

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,199

Hi Mary P

With the funny weather we are having this spring my acers are also taking a while to get going. Some have been through the stage you describe (leaves half unfurled and hanging down) but eventually picked up and now look fine.  I think it is because we get a couple of nice days then back to freezing again - so they start to develop and then get checked for a bit.  I would wait another couple of weeks before worrying that anything is wrong.  Good luck image

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......
  • Thanks Chicky and Verdun, I will sit tight for a while.  I feel better knowing other acers have been the same and recovered, fingers crossed!

Thanks again

• RozzyRozzy Posts: 18

Mine is exactly the same - just make sure it has enough water and it will be fine.

• Hi, just an update, I sat tight with my acer as you all advised and it is alive and well.  It  actually looks better than ever, really full leaves, a complete transformation.  Thanks again, I was on the verge of giving up.