Forum home Wildlife gardening

Common Carder bee

I saw a common carder bee today feasting on our primulas - it's so cute.

• flowering roseflowering rose Posts: 1,632

I bumble bee and hover flies zooming around the garden,the bumble lives at the base of the cherry tree in a hole in the grass.On my water butt i have covered the openings so as the bees do not get trapped inside,I found  a number of dead ones one year so took action .

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,370

today there are solitary bees all over the pulmonarias and their little earth volcanos have appeared in the lawn

I also have some beige coloured bees but I don't know what they are, any ideas?

• RanunculusRanunculus Posts: 33

I now feel that what I saw was a bee fly and not a common carder bee as it had a long proboscis.  Ooops!

i can recognise those ranunculus but i still cant tell my bees apart reliably

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,353

Our Shady Bank is full of bees busily buzzing around the foxgloves, clematis, aquilegias, roses,echiums and iris - the bees all seem to be coming out of and returning to  holes in the soffits of next door's roof image  There are hundreds of them - every cloud has a silver lining image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• RanunculusRanunculus Posts: 33

Sorry nutcutlet I am a novice - it was only an article in a gardeners world magazine that led me to believe it was a c.c.bee as it was the only one I saw with a beige bum image

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 46,167

Would much rather have bees in my soffits than starlings any day Dove! image

Saw a hoverfly today - first one I've seen this year. More bees around recently too but no good at identifying them. Love seeing them around. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 77,353

Strangely enough FG, last summer the neighbour had starlings nesting in his roof - not this year - a sparrowhawk took one off the roof earlier this spring and we thought that explained  it, but perhaps the bees saw them off?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Zoomer44Zoomer44 Posts: 3,254

I've had a few bee's in my garden, mainly with white bottoms. There are at least two other species though, will have a closer look at the weekend when I've more time.