Forum home Tools and techniques

When should I pot on my lupins

I started some White lupins seeds in my greenhouse earlier in the year. They were the second lot.. The first lot all died after I pricked them out and damaged the taproot. The second lot in grew in small cells and potted them on once when the roots were congested. They are now in the 10cm pots and look like they could do with being potted on again but should I do it or wait till spring and plant them in the ground?

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,806

I'd leave them unless they are absolutely bursting out of their pots.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • MetheMethe Posts: 11

Would you feed them now? The leaves are starting to look a bit like they're in need of something but unsure if that's just because summers closing in a bit. 

Fab, thank you both for your help image

ph one last thing actually, at the moment they are on a bench outside. Should I leave them outside or put them back in the greenhouse to winter? If yes, when?

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 16,769

I would echo what all that Verdun has said. I find they are only good for the first three years, then the flower spikes are not so large, so bare in mind so you can sow more seeds in time for replacements.

i am now turfing out the first ever ones I grew, have more to replace them with in the Spring, then I shall sow another lot to replace the next years, and so on.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

Thanks all, you've been really helpful image

• Fishy65Fishy65 Posts: 2,253

Methe - I've grown Lupins for the first time this year, following Lyn's expert tuition and now have eight strong young plants ready to go out next spring image