Forum home Plants

Can anybody name this?

2»

• I thought at first it looked like a vinca but reading other replies it does indeed look more like a Wood violet or viola. It's very pretty Brendan.

• That sure looks like a a wild violet which we have oh so many.It cant be an orchid as those are not orchid leaves.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v11/otnorot/2397a_zpsbe7af50b.jpg

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,087

otnorot, I think you pic is of a native USA Violet. Not one from UK.

It is Viola papilionacea I think.

Your pic appears to be from this web site and pics are subject to copyright and can only be posted without permission.

See...

http://www.garden.org/weedlibrary/?q=show&id=2397

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Ss, oh don't be so stuffy, he/she is not selling the photo!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 60,557

The picture has an accreditation on it, so no problem as far as I can see image

Besides, I think you meant to say "can only be posted with permission! " not 'without' LOL image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 2,087

Ooops!.Thank you Dovefromabove....Yes I did mean "with" permission!

SwissSue. Sorry to appear stuffy.

Photos on www  can be "borrowed" and moved from site to site, where someone might wish to sell it.

I just try to respect the rules.

Pictures belong to the person that took them. Even when that pic does not have a copyright signature.

The only pics that should be added  to forums such as this, are ones you have taken or ones which you have had permission to add.

Ones from wiki... wiki common pics, can also be added.

All other pics must be added as a link.

I am on several forums.

One  forum was told it would be closed down if members continued to add pic stolen  from the internet.

It is very strictly monitored by the moderators.

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

I forgot to say native orchids in flower are usually seen end of June in south of England.  It is useful to say whereabouts your garden is and when the picture was taken when you wish a plant identified, as well as a pic of flower and leaves.

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

Here are native violets last week in the Bristol University botanic Garden by some primroses which like the same conditions.