Can anybody name this?

I have lived at the same address for a few years now and this is the first time I have seen this plant in my garden. I think it's an orchid. Does anybody know its name? 

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,115

'Fraid it's not an orchid.  More like a violet, but difficult to tell.

• Silver surferSilver surfer Posts: 580

Finding pic hard to get a clear look.

Can you add a good close up of the flowers and leaves.

Do you live in Havering UK.?

Sorry but this is not an Orchid.

It looks as if it is a Viola riviniana.. a wild violet

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=Viola+riviniana&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=enR9UdKeJrST0QXJuYG4Dg&ved=0CAoQ_AUoAQ&biw=1920&bih=967

Perthshire. SCOTLAND .
  • chickychicky SurreyPosts: 7,188

I agree - wild violet.  We get lots of them - unfortunately don't seem to have the famous violet scent to go with themimage

The Stone Age didn’t end because they ran out of stones ......
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,612

Looks very like one of my favourite violets Viola sororia 'Freckles' - I wonder if it's a cross between Freckles and a more ordinary violet - perhaps only grown big enough to flower this  year image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !

Yes, it's gorgeous - I grew it in my last garden - I've kicked myself many times for not bringing it with me image  Brendan Jones' picture shows some darker freckles, but the overall colour is too violet - that's why I suggested it might be a cross. image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Thank you.

I feel slightly silly for thinking/ hoping it was an orchid. 

I'm not sure why my photo is so blured. I shall upload a crisper image. 

I have been feeding wild seeds to the birds over winter. Do you think it may have come from them? 

I think that's unlikely - it's something that's been lurking, probably not been big enough to flower until this year image  It's lovely image

• happymarionhappymarion Posts: 4,591

I took some pics of some os our native orchids at Westonbirt Arboretum last year.  I'

'll see if that helps.

• I agree. It is lovely.