Forum home Problem solving

Angelica horror movie

I live in an area with an extreme Angelica problem. When I say extreme, it is an understatement. Everywhere you look in a radious of ten miles is every square inch taken over by Angelica from early spring until late autumn. In my garden I'd like to get rid of it. I have been planting heavily but the Angelica often overruns everything I do... HELP

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 17,521

I have a lot of Angelica in my garden too. I have a very sharp hoe and find that it cuts everything down to ground level from whence it never rises again.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hmmm, I attemoted that one. They just came up again. Locals say 'pull them up with roots and all'... that works partially but the leaves are in such an extreme quantity that it doesn't really pay offimage

• *attempted

• Go into business? Candied angelica is hard to find and expensive. A trifle just isn't the same without angelica leaves on the cherry flowers!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 64,642

As you're in Germany, I take it you're referring to Angelica sylvestris which I know grows wild in some areas, rather than the cultivated form.

The seeds are often included in wild flower mixes here in the UK. image

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Lou12Lou12 Posts: 1,149

What kind of soil does it like? I've never seen it round here.

• I've got A. Archangelica and it self seeds into moist, borderline boggy soil. It will need a more or less constant supply of water to support that superstructure!

And just to prove how contrary plants will always be here are some of last year's lot growing under a small apple tree on a dry, south facing shingly bank of rubbish soil.image

• Yup, thaz the one. And it is a nightmare! But I don't want to use chemicals. How do I get rid of it?

I just hoe them down. When they are young it is easier but a sharp hoe will even go through mature plants. The ones in the photo are gone and won't be back. I keep a couple of them because the flowers are bee food.