Your top performing BLUE clematis

Am off to the Harrogate Flower Show tomorrow and need your experience to help me decide what to buy.  Photos would be a bonus!

• Matty2Matty2 Posts: 4,820

It has to be etoile violette, amazing when in full flower. I'm sure there is a ipictre on the forum but can't find it. have just planted one

Also Durandii looks good

Also blue azur - seen it a Sissinghurst again wpnderful

• Clematis macropeleta 'lagoon' for mid blue spring flowers and Perle D'Azur for summer flowering.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,168

Etoile Violette is definitely a stunner but very purple, as its name suggests.

For me, Perle d'Azur does well - 

and Crystal Fountain -

and Beauty of Worcester -

and Blekitny Aniol aka Blue Angel -

There are some good blue alpina forms but they're not hardy enough for my garden.   Have fun choosing.

The Vendée, France
  • BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,356

What shade of blue do you prefer, and what type (ie group1, 2 or 3?)  Many of the most reliable large flowered (gp2) types are on the purple side.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • SalinoSalino Posts: 1,609

^I'm surprised that Alpina forms are not hardy for some.  This is 'Frances Rivis' which I like very much..

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,168

I find in my garden that montana and alpina get excited and juicy and full of new foliage and flwoer buds just in time to be knocked out by a severe late frost and we always get a -15 or so in late March or even early April that does for them.  I grow lots of clematis but not the cirrhosa, alpina, macro petala or montana forms and I now make sure when buying new ones that they can cope down to -25C as we get that quite a lot in recent winters.

The Vendée, France
  • Thanks all of you, and it's lovely to have all those links, obelixx