Forum home Tools and techniques

compost bin on stone flags

2»

• WateryWatery Posts: 388

My garden is not tidy enough to notice.   Currently it is on tarmac but in our last placed it was paving slabs.    I tend to spill when I check the hatches so there's some around the base anyway but I'm not that particular.  You're right about the worms in pots.  I always find them.   (My front garden was tarmacked over when we move in. I'm slowly reclaiming it but for now have lots of containers.)  I think if you are going for pristine paving slabs, a compost bin not such a good idea.   But unless you have saucers under all your plant pots, those will seep onto the ground as well.   And with saucers, things may get to wet in the rain.   I suppose you could have pot feet above saucers. 

• Hurrah!!!  I found a slow worm in the garden so can't turn compost! It/they could live there for the winter.

• thanks for all you replies. i had read that one of the main benefits of a plastic compost bin was the fact that it does not need turning though that does mean it takes longer to compost. Is this not true?

I still need some advice on how to prevent staining of my flags with the raised bed that will house the compost bin and how to prevent leakage from the soil in the raised bed.

Thanks again

Darrell

• Darrell, I've found that my plastic bin makes compost quicker than slatted bins but you do need a green layer then a brown one.  I get the brown layer (carbon) from crumpled paper and plain cardboard but there's never enough so I use Bowles's 'Garotter' to supplement the carbon, not expensive and easy to use. You're on a loser re your flags!!

• Thanks for the reply Ann. I receive a weekly delivery of organic vegetables in brown paper bags that will supply me with reasonable regular amount of carbon. I googled " bowles's garotter " but did not find any info. I am stll researching raised beds on flags and have come up with a number of suggestions including laying down some chippings/gravel and a permeable membrane to help retain the soil and reduce staining.

I suspect more research is required.

Thanks again

Darrell