Broad beans

Is it recommended to pinch out the growing tips of broad beans?

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener LeicsPosts: 6,473

Hi Russell, only when they are fully grown (ie about 3-4ft tall) and that is only to prevent blackfly infestation.  I usually wait until one plant has a sign of blackfly, then pinch out the tips of them all.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.
  • David Matthews2David Matthews2 Posts: 454

No sign of blackfly here in coastal West Wales, as yet! BUT no sign of any pollinators either - my raised bed of overwintered 'Acuadulce' have had flowers on them since early April but nary sign of embryonic pods forming as expected. Warmer weather & "damping down" at dusk may help, says my learned (venerable) neighbour, so we can but try??

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,612

Mine are flowering too - I've given the ground a good soaking as it's very dry - and I'll be fleecing them tomorrow night as we've been promised -2C

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • Jazzy2Jazzy2 Posts: 39

hi does pinching out the tip stop black fly.

jazz

• I pinched out all the tips of mine last year and had no problems at all

Don't forget that if you do take out the tops of your broad beans, you can cook and eat them - delicious steamed with a little butter image

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,647

Meh, I've got too many other things to eat, Dove. BBs are like peas, beans, etc. They need plenty of water when they're flowering. I planted mine last November and sort of forgot about them. Went to have a look, found tons of flowers but very dry soil. A couple of good soakings and now there are pods all over the place.

• Thanks for all the advice

Hi Italophile - I watered mine yesterday evening after a fortnight of dry weather - it's been raining ever since imageimage

• This is my first time growing BBs - I didn't realise I could plant them out yet!  I'm on the edge of Salisbury Plain and we get strong winds (probably created by the army manoeuvres!) but I can shelter them, from the wind not the sun.  We're supposedly getting almost down to freezing, if not frost, tonight - aren't they likely to get frost-bite? or do we fleece them up?