Splitting 2 Amelanchiers

I have a couple sharing a tub, they were bare-root purchases 2 (3?) years ago.

1 is for a friend & they really should be in their own accommodation anyway.  They are almost in flower - am I too late to split them now??


  • PS Including tub they're about 6-7 foot high.

  • ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,155

    Yes.  Their roots are busy working hard pumping sap up the stems for the flowers and foliage to open out.  If you stress them now you risk losing the plants.   Wait till leaf drop in autumn and do it then as the roots will have all winter to recover and regrow to support new flowers and foliage next spring.

    The Vendée, France
  • AtillaAtilla Posts: 1,493

    I would also wait till autumn but would also be nosey to see how easy the trees are to pull apart. 2 years after bare-root makes me think that they could be splt quite easily with minumum damage...they are tough trees.

  • Thanks folks - you're trying to tempt me aren't you, blairs??!!image

    I'll take obelixx's advice - always sound,image & be patient.image

Sign In or Register to comment.