does anyone know what it is??

JcblueJcblue Posts: 42

hi,

I have started working in a garden which has lots of these plants in them, & I'm not sure what they are, I'm thinking they are some kind of echium? but not pininana's, which I have too!

If any one knows what they are I'd be very grateful.

There is lots of last years (dead) growth laying around them which is about just over a metre.

thanks in advance

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,237

Is there a photo Jc?

• JcblueJcblue Posts: 42

Sorry thought the pictures had gone through!!! 

The pics are a bit small and my eyes are a bit old. But echiums are mostly if not always biennial, this looks like a perennial. Possibly one of the comphreys.

• JcblueJcblue Posts: 42

Thanku for your reply nutcutlet, yes it is a perennial ( have got big fat roots!) but the leaves are slightly furry I thought comphrey's were smooth?

They're quite rough. not smooth at all, not sure about the furry.  It's a bit dark out there now but I'll go and take a pick of mine tomorrow. I have the big native one , (officinalis)  the blue one and a little whitish one, but it's not that.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 12,095

Couldn't be a centurea could it? Perennial cornflower.

https://flightplot.files.wordpress.com/2012/05/perennial-cornflower-centaurea-montana.jpg?w=671

• catnipcatnip Posts: 70

Or pulmonaria (lungwort)? Tiny blue, pink or whit flowers? Some leaves might be spotted...

• AnneeAnnee Posts: 6

My guess is Comfrey. Take a look at en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comfrey

I think it's this one, one of the blue comphreys. Never really worked out which one for sure.

This is it later on

Beautiful blue, bit invasive.

• Great compost accelerator/plant feed though! And the bees love comfrey.