More ways to spend money

pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,146

Trawling the internet has many dangers, not least of them being the chance encounter with a website that is offering things for sale that you didn't know you needed.

I fell upon one such the other day and am now the proud owner of 24 utterly enormous "border restraints". I know, I know, who ever knew that one's borders needed restraining (unless one lives in some benighted country with a megalomaniac leader)?

Border restraints are in fact those little green wire hoops that stop your plants lolling around like ne'er do wells. I usually buy them from supermarkets where the average size offered is about 40 cms tall. On this website I found them offering "seconds" at up to a metre in length. Ooh, I thought, that will keep the cardoons and echinops out of trouble.

So I ordered some and they came. I can't see what is seconds about them. The only problem is they are nearly as tall as I am and have a great deal more fight in them. I shall have to wait until a nice young energetic member of the family is unsuspectingly visiting us and I shall thrust them into their little hands and ask them to poke them into the ground. If they can.

Anyway, the lovely company which is offering these monsters is called Harrod Horticultural and they are based in Lowestoft. No connection to Harrods. They used to make fishing nets for trawlers before the bottom fell out of the market, apparently.

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

• How tall are you pansyface?  I have a few rampagers who could do with being restrained a bit but I don't want to bite of more than I can chew.

Shame about the bottom falling out of the nets in Lowestoft though image

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 15,146

I'm 5'1" in old money.

Yes, shame about the nets, the mines, the steel works, the old style family farms......

I often feel as if I've lived too long.

And then I look out of the window at the trees and the birds.....image

• Thank you, I shall investigate Harrods of Lowestoft's website forthwith.  

Me too, very nearly 3 score years and 10 but as you say, trees, birds, flowers et al.  It's a wonderful world - mostly image

http://www.harrodhorticultural.com

Not a plug for them. And I take no responsibility for any purchases made on the spur of the moment.image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,041

I've had stuff from them as well. Shade netting for the GH was one thing. It was great till the mice got in the bag over winter. Then there was more hole than net.

They got in the moth trap bag as well, goodbye kneeling mats and the eggs boxes. They nested in there and diud what mice do. Yuk

Aw, how can you not like meeeses?image

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,041

They're all right in their place pansyface but their place isn't my shed. Or my roof space, they're too noisy.

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 14,340

Mouse in my shed ate a bag of wallpaper paste, amongst everything else, not much point in having a cat!

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

That stuff swells up when it hits water Lyn.image

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 21,634

what does? Cats? 

I'll get me coat. 

Devon.