I got sick of the front of my house being bland, so I've dug up the edge of the paved driveway by the house. I'm going to brick up a low border, fill it with soil and I'll be left with a narrow (30-40cm deep) border in front of a bay window, with slightly deeper spaced on either end. The whole bed will be about 3m wide.
I'd like some suggestions for what to put in it. I can help narrow it down a bit.
- It's north facing, so mostly in the shade and I'm in Oxfordshire.
- I'd like to keep it as green as possible, so lots of evergreens. Flowering would be nice, but not essential.
- I like the idea of having something climbing up the house - but not ivy or clematis.
- I also like the idea of a tree - but not too high (3m max).
- In front of the bay window, I'd like to get to around 1m high, as long as it doesn't block the window.
- Finally, things that attract bees and butterflies would be great.
Thanks for any suggestions.