Forum home The potting shed

EVIL Japanese Anemone

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,107

Thanks Verdun. If Honorine is realyl fading away I shall have to get one of those

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 20,014

Berghill - I have all sorts growing in weed suppressing membrane - honesty, pulmonaria, hellebores, geranium phaeum plus weeds.  last year after my neck problems and op meant I couldn't garden for 5 months, they got to waist height and had to be strimmed and hacked before being pulled.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

I had a problem with virginia creeper,which eventually I managed to dig out,but as I liked the colour of it ,planted one small root in a large pot with an obeleisk,keeping it trimmed and contained it makes quite a feature when in full colour.

• pashpash Posts: 109

bump

• Has anyone experienced Japanese anemones changing colour?  Once upon a time I planted some white and some pink and the white ones vanished over time.  I do actually find these plants useful, so on moving house, I dug up a clump and they have been in a pot for two summers.  The pot has just flowered and suddenly I seem to have white flowers again (can't remember what I had last year - it hardly flowered and I was too busy to notice).  I really like the white ones, so I'm pretty happy, but am surprised.  has anyone else had this exxperience?

• Yes! - I have been trying to find an answer to this problem and this is the first mention I have found. I planted 3 healthy white Japanese anemones a few years ago and this year they are all pink - I already have pink in the garden but I loved the white - can anyone help? thanks

• YviestevieYviestevie Kingswinford, West MidlandsPosts: 5,270

Jap Anem are the bain of my life.  Last year I dug every bit out (so I thought) and they are back again. I am painting the leaves with round up as they appear.  I can't do much else as they are mixed in with so many other plants.  My loam soil is fractionally on the acid side of neutral.

Hi from Kingswinford in the West Midlands
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,744

My white one is just flowering now, daughter bought me two pink ones, I have a bed of the rampant one, but it's quire well behaved, I just chop back any bits that grow outside of where I want it. 

I love them.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor.