Forum home The potting shed

EVIL Japanese Anemone

• Dan2012Dan2012 Posts: 22

Well, that`s cheered me up no end Berghill image  SH,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,OOT !!!

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,997

It's funny isn't it.  I like the plant but have a well bahevd clump of the pink stuff that isn't invasive at all.   I would dearly love to have some of the white but it just won't grow.   I have deeply fertile akaline loam which varies from well drained to boggy and the stuf fthat grows for me isin a shady, dampish bed that only gets full sun from 3pm between the equinoxes. 

Good luck with getting rid.  I can sympathise having my own problems with the usual suspects - creeping buttercup, nettles, thistles, couch grass and mare's tail which all love my soil and grow with gay abandon no matter how much I weed them out or paint with glyphosate.

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • everoseveros Posts: 55

I've got the same problem with Japanese Anemones, White as well as pink.  The pink took a long time to thrive, now it's everywere.  I just dig bits up where I don't want it, but you do have to be persistent.

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,262

Mind you. Lysimachia Firecracker is almost as bad as is Lemon Balm.

Two kinds of plants in my garden, dying or thugs!

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Strange you should say that about the pink ones Obelix. I've got two nice clumps which have been in the same spot for at least 15 years and have never spread, but the white ones, in a dry bed between a huge magnolia and a large red hazel where nothing else will grow , increase regularly. I just pull out what becomes too much.

I seem to remember that a few weeks back, someone on the forum said never plant anything with the word japanese in the name, you'll never get rid of it!image

• ObelixxObelixx Vendée, Western FrancePosts: 19,997

I've always wondered why anyone would plant Fircracker with it's brash yellow flowers and browny purple foliage.   Same as I wonder about euphorbias which can also invade.

All a matter of taste I suppose.

One of my Japanese maples is definitely not a thug SwissSue.  It has been badly frosted this winter and needs to be moved to somewhere gentler if it survives.  Pity, as it' the only decent prize OH has ever won at golf.  Who needs trophies gathering dust or bottles of wine when you can have luscious plants instead?

"We don't stop playing because we grow old; we grow old because we stop playing." - George Bernard Shaw
  • Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 498

My Firecracker doesen't spread much in my heavy clay, but it has never looked good, shrivels in dryish weather. It looks like a weed. This year it is going, by glyphosate. 

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,262

What do you think I have been using for the last 5 years,Verdun? I get the Professional strength stuff from our local Farm Supply place. I have tried mixing it with Verdone as well to see if the extra oomph will work.