EVIL Japanese Anemone

Does anyone have a proven method of getting rid, once and for all, for this EVIL , invasive, spreading monster of a plant please !!!!

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 10,626

Do you really mean Japanese anemone which most people find attractive and easy enough to dig up if it gets too exhuberant or Japanese knotweed which is ramapntn hard to destroy and can lift tarmac and concrete and invade drains and foundations and is a notifiable weed?

The Vendée, France
  • Dan2012Dan2012 Posts: 22

Hi obelixx,

Yes I do mean Jap. Anemone, it`s a pink Koenig ? I think. EDIT. Possibly Queen Charlotte, variety not Koenig

I have tried digging it out, removing as much root as I can find, I have sprayed with weedkiller, not my preferred option, but it`s growing away like mad at present. I just want to get rid ASAP, any ideas for a permenant solution ? How deep do the roots / runners go to ?

This,

http://www.bing.com/images/search?q=japanese anemone&FORM=BILH#view=detail&id=84B15196A287BFA90942A19D8D87FDA0D1282C02&selectedIndex=2

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

I've been googling "rampaging japanese anemones" and unfortunately everyone says the same things: keep digging/pulling out, glyphsate fresh leaves, try not to leave any root bits in ground, will take ages! image

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 499

I got rid of mine using glyphosate but it took three years. It is more rampant in some gardens than others. It spreads most readily in free draining sandy soil. It spreads less so in my heavy clay. 

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I'm spraying mine today - it's growing out go some dry stone walls, so digging's not an option.
  • BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,826

I have been keeping a patch of soil totally empty for the last 4 years trying to eradicate this pernicious thug from that section of the border. It has been dug over to a depth of at least 2 feet, the soli riddled and then left empty. This morning I find 3 new leaves appeareing. Every leaf that has ever shown its head has been sprayed with Roundup and it still grows.

I have given up even trying to rid the Roadside border of it and we are considering removing every plant and shrub from this 60 metres by 4 metres bed and returning it to grass Not that, that would work, I find it even comes up in the mown areas now. despite applications of Lawn Weedkiller.

As far as I am concerfned it should be banned from sale like Knotweed.

• Gold1locksGold1locks Posts: 499

There are dwarf forms such as Pamina that are not anything like as aggressive. 

• Dan2012Dan2012 Posts: 22

Many thanks to everyone for taking the time to reply and their advice.

I`ll have to get some high strength Glyphosate at it ASAP, I`m determined to free myself of this monster this year, fingers crossed.

• BerghillBerghill Posts: 2,826

Well, all I can say is "Best of luck!".

Just found a stalk coming up in a Rock garden where it was cleared out 5 years ago. Not seen any there for 2 years so we thought it had gone. Sh...................oot.