new gardener

sorting my containers out today found these white maggot things can anyone tell me what they are and how to get rid

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,230

Fear they might be vine weevil larvae, it's where they live. Have you any photos?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,612
    No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Dove, how does one get rid of these?

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

This is a vine weevil larva. About half an inch long and no legs. My first ever question on this forum was the same as yours tinker 2

• tinker 2tinker 2 Posts: 3

no not at present are they harmful  how can i get rid will i be able to use this compost again or shall i get rid

• tinker 2tinker 2 Posts: 3

thats it ugh 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 43,612

Artjak - if I've got weevil grubs in my pots I get them out and squidge them and let the birds or the neighbours chickens have them.

However, you then need to deal with the adult weevils that lay the eggs that turn into the grubs - I watered my entire Shady Bank with Vne Weevil Nematodes last summer and saw a huge improvement in the amount of damage they were causing to my primulas - I shall give them another dose as soon as the soil warms up.

http://www.defenders.co.uk/pest-solutions/biological-vine-weevil-control.html

No-one knows if you've done your housework, but everyone knows if you've done your gardening !
  • i have found some in my primula pots today. gutted also in my astrantias.. imagei have taken them out fed them to the birds... who were very keen.. disposed of compost for burning the repotted.. nightmare..

i did all mine with the nemotodes last year.. and this is first year i have had problem with them..

• I read on this forum that one could submerge the entire pot in water for two days and drown the grubs.

• AlieshAliesh Posts: 182

I have had theese in the past they eat the roots of your plants!

You can buy vine weevil killer from garden centres and wilkinsons you dilute and water it on .Watch out for the adult beetles in summer they are black and speckled i cruch themimage