Forum home Problem solving

tomatoes

hi all

just a novice gardiner

first year for growing tomatoes

bought some shirleys and they seem to be doing fine

bought a san marzano plant after a week its leaves are going brown from the top of the plant downwards

any advice please

• HelcattHelcatt Posts: 18
    Where are they? Sounds like sun scorch to me - shocking though it may be, when the sun does come out it is intense for small plants. If you think it could be that then Keep them in a bright spot but not in all day direct sunlight. Don't remove the leaves. They should recover.
  • jampotjampot Posts: 8

they are in greenhouse

thanks for advice

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

You can afford to let the mix dry out providing you don't leave it bone dry. Permanently damp roots can cause more problems than underwatering.

they are in pots with tomato grow bag compost

only had 2 sunny days in last week

will it recover or should i just bin it

thx for advice

thx verdun

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 49,201

Verd-I've got my toms in little 3" pots just now and they're needing to move on-what would you recommend? Should I put them straight into their 'final' pots or put them in 5" or similar first?image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• ItalophileItalophile Posts: 1,731

Transplanting deeply encourages strong root growth. Any stem that is buried will become root structure. When transplanting into their final home, I take off all branches and leaves up to the top foliage, the canopy. Plant so that the canopy is virtually sitting on the soil. Just lift the leaves a tad when watering until the canopy grows up clear of the soil. It won't take long.