Pathway straight or curved

I am reclaiming the last 68feet of my garden now that my daughter is grown up and my rabbits have passed away. I will load pictures but am struggling at the moment. I am planning to have a patio at the bottom of the garden and then a path from there to the grass. I do not know whether to go for a straight oath with formal plant (I like neat and tidy) or go for a curved plant with cottage style planting to the sides. It is going to be a long job but I will get there and look forward to the process. I change my mind every day but I think formal may be harder to maintain. Any thoughts or ideas much appreciated. image

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,168

Sloppy, are you struggling with loading pics? If so, just click on the tree icon above where you type. Until we see the general outlook it is hard to give you any advice.

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,543

My thoughts are the same as Verdun's.

Dordogne and Norfolk

I suddenly had a brain wave about how to get the photo off my phone onto the computer. I apologise for the state of my garden but it has been much neglected for the last 16 years. The path I am on about with travel up the gravel area. The brown shed on the left is to be moved to the bottom of the garden and this is where I propose to put my planting. The right hand side to remain gravelled (the conifers down this side are to be removed and fencing put up) due to ground elder growing here but put pots on this part.

Top picture is the very bottom of the garden and the remaining 2 photos are from my lawn.

Many thanks

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 23,990

You can have a straight path and soften it with cottage style planting. image

One of the most famous pair of garden designers were Ned Lutyens and Gertrude Jekyll. He was a famous architect who designed the hard landscaping for clients' gardens while Miss Jekyll designed the planting.

Have a little google and you'll see what I mean  image

And somewhere on the hill
    Inside the past we hear the bells
    Catching only parts of thoughts
    And fragments of ourselves
    Till we begin
    Again

• If you have a curved path no one will follow it after the novelty has worn off
  • I wouldn't be so sure richhondac.   I have a path round my garden and the neighbours cats use it rather than cutting across the grass...image

• Verdun - I had not thought of a curved path with formal planting. Something else to ponder.

Fairygirl - I love Jekylls planting style its gorgeous and I would like to do something like that. My favourite plants are lavender and especially alliums.

Supernoodles - perhaps a straight path will deter cats as I am allergic to them image

I am now thinking you could perhaps do cottage style floaty plants one side of the path and the same plants a bit more formally in pots say on the other side. My brain does not stop thinking about what to do even when I try sleeping. Really looking forward to getting on with the planting but it may be too late as my conifers will not be cut down till the end of October and nothing can move forward until this date.

Anyone got photos of there long garden as I am always looking for inspiration.

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 20,584

for me ,  a path is the shortest distance to get from one point to another. Therefore a straight line. 

For me, anything else is a contrivance. 

Nobody wanders around from left to right getting from A to B.

Devon.
  • Tetley, I could see something like that in my garden its beautiful. I have read that you should have paths that lead to a secret spot but I am not sure. Nobody else in the family would go down there but it would screen the neighbours from seeing us when I build the new patio. I expect it to be trial and error for the next few years and see what evolves.