When to sow wild flowers

I bought a mix of wild flower seed to sow my borders, inspired by Swansea cbc who create wild flower strands alongside many stretches of road. Should I sow now and allow natural vernalisation or hold off until next April?

• DorcasDorcas Posts: 159

I've scattered seed this week.

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 25,883

What's in your mix smflyman? 

• Cornflower poppy daisies clovers rattle cowslips primrose bluebell

You can get them sown smflyman. 

Odd mix. cornflowers and poppies need cultivated soil, Yellow rattle is parasitic on grass and needs sowing into grass (now)image

• I am sowing a lawn edge where the soil is thin, but the grass keeps encroaching into the open edge every I time I clear it I thought if I sowed now then raked in late March/early April I might get the cornflower/poppy mix to germinate

The rattle will be up and germinated by then and might get disturbed but it sounds a nice idea.image

• Maybe I will keep the rattle separate from the mix and sow it right against the grass edge; keep the mixture for the prepared/raked edge.. Wish me luck and thanks.

If the rattle is separate, sow it in the grass. It does need grass to live. I misunderstood, I thought it was all in one mix.

• Ah, right. I did not realise it was an obligate epiphyte. I assumed it could survive alone but parasitised grass when the opportunity presented.

I've never had it seed and grow anywhere other than in grass. One started in gravel outside the GH but came to nothing