Seedlings in greenhouse

I have calabrese, fennel, tomato and other seedings now pottted on into 'root-trainers', in the greenhouse. Some apprear to have had their tops bitten? off while others have a sort of slime on them and look quite unhappy. I've been started stuff of in the green house for many years and not met this problem before. The compost is a mixture of peat free 'Miracle grow', John Innesand some vermaculite mixed in. What can I do....

• Well it is pretty obvious??image

Slugs/snails are the culprits

Do whatever you normally do to get rid

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I'd think the culprits are slugs/snails - I use Eco friendly pellets sprinkled round the gh. It's also worth having a good look under staging etc as snails may well be lurking there in the daylight hours.

I'd advise action sooner rather than later, otherwise they might well munch the lot.
  • Rose7Rose7 Posts: 5

It does not look like slugs, obviously that is what I first thought of!, 'difficult to articulate why it looks different. If it is slugs they are being very slective and must be very tiny....?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 24,244

They will be selective. Some things taste nicer than other. Nothing else leaves a trail of slime over seedlings. They'll be there somewhere, bottom of trays, underside of staging, have a good look.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

At this time of year you get tiny little black and green keel slugs in the greenhouse, they are a bigger problem than any other slugs in the garden  -  they are very picky about what they eat - usually the most expensive or precious things you have!!  As someone else says, nothing else leaves that slime trail - keep looking, they are there, probably under the top inch or so of the soil/compost, under leaves - hiding away to destroy where they can.

• figratfigrat Posts: 1,619
    I've found some teeny slugs and snails in the gh, guess they're hungry.