Should I encourage house mice into my garden?

I was at the top of my garden sorting through some tree branches and I could only hear two things, the rustling of the branches which was created by me, and the frantic and irritated sounding robbing hanging around me, knowing the Robbin was probably hungry I decided to put some nuts, suet and meal worms out but the Robbin left and I haven't seen him/her since. After the Robbin had buggered off I noticed the food disappearing (even though the food was no more than six feet directly ahead of me.... Confused I decided to stop what I was going and watch it until the perpetuate returned, and sure enough, it did.    This isn't the first time I've seen these mice, I've seen them on two other occasions as as a result of their presence I've always taken the bird feeders in at night but I couldn't resist it and I let the mice take every scrap of food from the feeder (it was only a handful)  Anyway, is it justifiable to encourage them? Or was I silly for doing so? I know they live in the log pile, directly around this log pile they have a lot of food, (hazels, blackberries, honeysuckle berries, elder berries, ivy 'berries' holly berries....)

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 14,384

We have house mice, field mice, and voles visiting our bird tables. I love to watch them. They provide a nice little larder for the owls and other birds besides giving me a smile.

The only thing you have to remember is that, like all animals, they like a comfy life and they will want to come and join you in your house in the winter time.

We have a big old house with a cellar that is connected to the garden by an old drainage channel. They are welcome to live down there in the cold months as we keep anything chewable or edible well wrapped up or out of reach. They are not allowed to come up the steps into the house though. image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • Hmmm.... throng think I'll put food out then, the log pile is very sheltered from the elements but I don't want the neighbors telling me off, that's a really nice story ha ha 

• Victoria SpongeVictoria Sponge WearsidePosts: 2,651

I reckon they would be there whether you encouraged them or not.image I have several logs with ivy, hedge woundwort and lamium under my bird table and one morning putting the bird food out recently I noticed lots of little faces peeking out from under leaves and behind logs, very amusingimage

There is also a wood mouse that lives close to the house, it bounces back and forth in front of my patio doors collecting bits my hen has leftover. Keep hearing one of my cats hit the glass on the insideimage

• FirecrackerFirecracker East Lancashire.Posts: 252

We have mice in the garden, in a small stone wall that has a slop stone sink on top for birds water. They are always out getting food dropped from bird feeders.image

• Busy-LizzieBusy-Lizzie Posts: 13,459

Have lots of mice here, despite my lazy cat. In the countryside. But they have been a bit of a nuisance. It's been very dry and they've been eating my tomatoes in the GH and the birds have eaten outdoor ones. Then they found the larder. I've had to put lots of stuff which was in plastic bags into metal boxes.

Dordogne and Norfolk
  • ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 527

When feeding birds this one comes out straight away as no fear what' so ever they are no problem 

• My cat tries to bring them in. Only 4 have made it inside but I have just picked them up by the tail and put outside again. She did catch one that when she let it go, jumped on her. I'm just waiting for her to bring a rat because that is one I will be leaving to the husband to deal with.

• We're in the country too and we've got field mice, voles and shrews as well as house mice. Some live in the dry stone wall at the front but lots move into the 'garage' where we store the sheep feed in the winter. I have learned that it is best to go to the feed merchant more often rather than buy too many bags at once, as any not stored in the bins are chewed open and then they hold parties inside! You could pick up a 25 kilo sack one handed as it would be half empty!

They get into the house too - the stone walls have rubble infill and there are plenty of little gaps for mice, where beams or wires or pipes go through.  I had to fill in a hole in the ceiling by the electricity meters (wire wool and polyfilla does the trick!) All my food stuffs are stored in boxes or tins - they won't stay where there is nothing to eat, but you have to be careful and not let down your guard. That includes not keeping bulbs in the dining room without keeping a look out and setting traps if necessary!

• LynLyn DevonPosts: 13,126

The problem with leaving out bird food is that you will attract the big boys, and rats will be hard to get rid of.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• ZenjeffZenjeff Newcastle Upon Tyne Posts: 527

Rats will eat anything including fruit and berry,so if you have lots of birds it will be cleared during the day ,also being endangered are we all going to stop feeding our hedgehog visitors