Forum home Plants

Intriguing Plant - ID Please

I have this in my garden and has been popular with the bees.

Does anyone know what it is please?

Many thanks for your help

-andy

• arneilarneil Northern Ireland Posts: 270

Alium

• scigibscigib Posts: 51

Allium a member of the onion family.

• kathy 6kathy 6 Posts: 261

Or could it be an echinops?, what's the foliage like Silverlight?

• PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,902

Allium, for sure.

• LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,578

I'd vote for echinops, I think, based on the 5-petalled flowers and the stem colour.  Globe thistle.  But the foliage will give it away - all alliums have grass--like leaves, whereas echinops have leaves which look a bit like a thistle.

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • punkdocpunkdoc Sheffield, Derbyshire border.Posts: 12,021

As Liri says, we need to see the leaves to be sure of the diagnosis.

Consequences, altered cases
    Broken noses, altered faces
    My ego altered, altered egos
    Wherever I go, so does me go
  • PalustrisPalustris Posts: 3,902

Decide for yourself, this is an Echinops.

• Definitely Echinops, globe thistle. There is also a white flower variety too, but the ones in Berghill's picture are taller. I have tried to save the seed, but not sure I was saving the right bit. The only way I have manged to get more plants is to dig a bit out and plant somewhere else.

• Thank you so much everyone it is Echinops Globe thistle !

It is a beautiful plant and now that I know what it is I can care for it and maybe buy some more since it's a favorite of kids who love the intricate flowers and watching the bees flock to it

• kathy 6kathy 6 Posts: 261

Gardenmaiden I didn't know there was a white!! Just googled I really need that one lovely, I have the bright blue Ruthenicus and yes Silverlight agree a fantastic plant for the bees hope you find some more image