Forum home Fruit & veg

Butternut Squash

2»

• PatsyDPatsyD Posts: 35

I've just planted 8 butternut squash plants on top of my huge compost heaps. I'm hoping to encourage them to trail away from each other and down the sides of the heaps (which are enclosed with wooden slats)

Is it possible to train them to go in a particular direction by pegging the shoots in place, or guiding them around sticks?

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Thans forsuggestion on size of pot Bob.been outside to measure the pot I thought of using,diameter 55cm,so I think I will try it.

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

PatsyC, you can just lift the "trailers" and move them in any direction you want, they are quite tough. Also, once the fruit starts to grow, put a small board or a piece of polystyrene or some straw underneath them to keep them off the earth.Do not pick them until the plant has died down and leave about 2 inches of stem on them. If the skin is broken they won't keep.

Got 8 butternuts off two plants last year, despite the mixed weather, but they were placed where they got the most sun. In fact I've still got one waiting to be eaten.

• PatsyDPatsyD Posts: 35

Thanks, SwissSue, I'll do as you suggest.

Sounds as though if they grow well I'll get squashed by an excess of squash!