Forum home Talkback

pink papaver problem

Hi, can anyone help please. I planted pink papaver poppies earlier this year and they have grown into what I thought would be gorgeous flowers....although over the past week the stems have drooped and have turned black and the buds (which I thought would have opened) have also turned black and into a mush!! The leaves are still all green and look healthy. This problem is only with the top of stem and bud. Should I cut them all off?

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 9,257

We've had a lot of rain Emma, so would think that is your problem.  Its also quite late in the year for oriental poppies to be flowering - they are normally a May featureimage.  I would cut back the whole flower stem to the base.  You'll probably get a wonderful display next yearimage

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • kleipieperkleipieper Posts: 563

The fact that they were apparently still flowering at this time of year and that they were pink, makes me wonder if they are annual poppies.image

I would cut the flower stems back, making sure to leave the healthy looking leaves, and hope for the best.

If they are annuals, it may be too late to rescue them, but if they are perennials, you may get a lovely display of flowers next year, as chicky says.