hydrangea - is it dead?

I bought a young hydrangea a few months ago which was small but had several leaves and a bud.  I planted it straight away and mulched it to keep the weeds down.  I checked my garden over tonight and found that all the leaves and bud has gone, and i am left with a green stick.

is it still alive?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Central Norfolk UKPosts: 58,699

Hi SquelchyNo1 image

To be absolutely frank, it's not the healthiest hydrangea I've ever seen - do you have rabbits or deer in your neck of the woods?

“I am not lost, for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost.” Winnie the Pooh

• Probably still alive and may regrow next year, looks like its been eaten by slugs or rabbits. 

I'm no expert though 

• chickychicky SurreyPosts: 8,729

Our deer avoid hydrangeas - think they are poisonous to them.  Not sure about rabbitsimage.  You could try protecting it with an upturned hanging basket until it gets going?

We did not inherit the earth from our grandparents.  We’re borrowing it from our children.
  • mushermusher Posts: 389
    it looks like it needs to be wheeled in to icu straight away.

Any plant thats in a dyer state. But has that flicker of green with in it. Theres always hope it will pull through.

Perhaps dry multch it during the colder months
  • Thanks everyone. Think it's been eaten by slugs as we don't get many rabbits or deer this way. I will protect it with a cloche until the summer I think and see what happens
  • LynLyn DevonPosts: 15,269

Slugs, snails and rabbits don't eat them, I think that's 'late ' plant.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet PeterboroughPosts: 26,089

I agree Lynimage

• CloggieCloggie Posts: 1,177
    I had some hydrangea snippings that lived after I found them still green where I'd thrown them on the ground about a week earlier. I then stuck them in compost to the side of a pot and a couple of them rooted (but others died) so I wouldn't think it's all over until it definitely is. Think I'd pull the mulch away from the stem though.