Forum home Plants

Favourite trees - sunny but windy site

a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 996

I am going to be planting some specimen trees come the bare root season and i would like some suggestions of favourites and stunners. 

Dont mind what kind, i would like possibly 10 or 12 small to medium really great looking trees.  Soil is slightly alkaline.  Its an open sunny but windy site.  I am not looking for trees as a shelter belt, hedges and wind fabric are in already.  

I dont want groups of birch or fruit trees (these are planted already). 

What will tolerate a bit of wind and look great? 

• FairygirlFairygirl west central ScotlandPosts: 47,122

I like the Whitebeams. Lovely silvery foliage and a proper 'tree' shape. They grow quite happily in most positions and soils. image

I think anything you put in will need to be well staked until they get established if it's windy though. 

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

Arbutus unedo?

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.
  • LiriodendronLiriodendron Scariff, County Clare, IrelandPosts: 7,561

Rowans are my personal favourite.  Quite happy in wind, attractive flowers, berries & autumn colour.  Yellow, red, orange, pink or white berries.  

"The one who plants trees, knowing that he will never sit in their shade, has at least started to understand the meaning of life."  Rabindranath Tagore
  • hogweedhogweed Central ScotlandPosts: 4,045
    Amelanchier for me - spring blossom and autumn colour.
    'Optimism is the faith that leads to achievement' - Helen Keller
  • a1154a1154 Sunny South Scotland Posts: 996

Ooo amelanchia does look nice.  Do you know what type is best Hogweed? 

Strawberry tree says sheltered and acid soil.

• pansyfacepansyface PEAK DISTRICT DerbyshirePosts: 20,544

I've sat under one in a garden just south of Edinburgh and I've grown one which blew down (got flattened by another tree) here in the Peak District so I don't know why they said that.image

Apophthegm -  a big word for a small thought.

I think its worth a try then, thanks. 

Im open to shrubs to grow as shrubs, but for a different location.  Pheasantberry looks really nice.